View Single Post
Old
  (#17)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-05-2016, 22:29

about Vodafone CallYA activation:

I really don't understand the problems:
1.) There are the "Freikarten" = free SIMs. They are still sent all over Germany by mail already pre-activated connecting to the network rightaway. They don't have credit preloaded and you still need to top them up. The plan starts when you top it up. This is the easiest way, if you know anybody with a German postal address as they can be started anytime or later too. They can be ordered for free to any German postal address on the Vodafone website only: https://www.vodafone.de/freikarten/?redo - click on purple jetzt kostenlos bestellen
2.) There are starter packs which are sold in service stations, small shops, super markets etc. all over the country for €10. They have 9.99 € credit on it and are set to either Talk&SMS rate (without monthly fee) or Smartphone Special (for 9.99€ with free roaming included). These starters are redistributed on eBay.de or Amazon.de. Most of the shops will send it abroad. It's not a problem of activation or passport data, but of postage. So ask them directly. Amazon warehouse shops aremore open to foreign distribution. But you can ask the small phone shops selling on eBay too.
These starters can be activated on this Vodafone site that can be switched to English: https://www.vodafone.de/komfortaufla...uest_locale=en
You don't need a German passport or registered address. This is nonsense. Vodafone says: "Please enter your personal data correctly.
If you have no permanent residence in Germany, please state the address of your current residence."
So you can use any address you know of in Germany, like a hotel, apartment etc.
These starters start the moment they are activated and charge the 1st 28 days of Smartphone Special from the preloaded credit. But you can activate a Talk&SMS SIM too, stay on the plan without monthly base rate and change to Smartphone Special (with free roaming) later.

So all the people talking about passport data etc. Some merchants want to take advantage of a customer referal bonus. But this is for their own benefits as they sell the SIM below the recommended sales price of €10. All the SIM cards Germans still buy in shops need to be activated online. Only the SIMs you buy in a Vodafone shop, they may activate them there, if you are lucky. For all 6 SIMs I bought for Spain for testing roaming for the WIKI and to give them to my friends here, I didn't need an German ID no. or any special ID check.

I will feature this SIM plan on a new featured site on the prepaid WIKI soon. Please be a bit patient. I'm working on it. Having said this, it's harder to get a LIDL Connect or a Rossmann mobil SIM abroad because there is no secondary market. For the moment, there is no other way but to go to a Lidl store or Rossmann market in Germany and buy it there. But again, these SIMs are to be activated online, without the need of any ID no.

P.S. If you are so scared about the German activation (which is still a joke), take a Vodafone Netherlands SIM instead. They have the same scheme and no activation at all. I'm in contact with merchants there too. They will offer it on eBay soon.
In both countries discussions are going on to tighten the laws on unaccounted prepaid SIMs, but nothing has been finalised yet. So you are not breaking the law.

One final word: It's still unclear if the Lidl Surf Stick plan (5GB@€15) is included in the roaming without surcharges scheme. I was not able to try it yet and users got opposite statements by the customer service. But on all other Lidl Connect (that's the NEW Lidl brand) packages and included allowances you are safe to go. For the Surf Stick pack, we need to wait until confirmed by an user.

Last edited by wolfbln; 04-05-2016 at 23:04..