View Single Post
Old
  (#3)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-04-2016, 20:24

Well, we are now 4 days to go until the new roaming rules in the EU will be finally implemented.

You see, my appeal for new and better EU roaming offers got a rather meager response. Simply, because there are only very few so far. Possibly, we'll get a last minute surprise.

That's why I focused on the editing of the new rules & regulations for the EU and what it really means for users on the prepaid data WIKI. Please check it and give me some feedback if I've missed some important aspect:
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Draft
(this draft site will eventually be split in 2 parts and be moved to EU article position later)

So what do we have in store for (data) roamers in the EU? A very mixed bag for the transition period: Many providers will stay on their excessive 23-24c/MB for roaming (Remember this means €240 for 1 GB), a few will go down to 6c/MB under certain conditions.

But Vodafone in Germany and the Netherlands will get the spotlight with the best offers announced so far. They are the first networks in Europe to drop all roaming surcharges on (most) prepaid plans for the EU:

- Vodafone DE CallYa Smartphone Special: 750 MB + 200 mins (in the roaming country and to Germany) : €9.99 for 28 days. Whether add-ons work too, remains to be seen.

- Vodafone NL YOU S, M or L or Online-only Blox: e.g. 1 GB for €9.99 (30 days, CH included)

- Tele2/*bliep in NL also announced to sell 1 GB EU roaming for €10 in add-on packages.

So for testing, I'll start with VF DE in ESP in 5 days. Results can be found here and in the WIKI later.
Please help me with your feedback, experience or suggestions. Remember, the SIM plan needs to give EU roaming rates more or less at domestic prices. A limit of 2c/MB in a package or 3c/MB in a PAYG rate is set to be included.