Thread: GPRS in France
View Single Post
Old
  (#13)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 23-04-2007, 16:45

First the good news. I confirm that you can subscribe to Option Internet with an orange.fr mobicarte. It involved ringing 722 (not free) and asking. I got an SMS confirming.

I don't think it would normally be a problem except I got this card in the UK from ebay.fr and it's actually registered in someone else's name. This caused a protracted discussion; they wouldn't do it until I could remember that person's name.

Now the bad news. I can't make a GPRS connection. I'm using APN="orange.fr" user="orange" pswd="orange". My PDA makes a PPP connection, authenticates (PAP) OK, gets DNS info - and then gets thown out. The phone (Nokia 6310i) says "subscribe to GPRS service first" or something similar. This suggests to me that I need to subscribe to a data service separately but I can't see how to do that on the orange.fr website. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm back in France next week, and I'll try ringing 722 again: I still have €2 credit from my €10 - having transferred zero bytes so far. But I'm not any more throwing away any more euros on this.

Having subscribed I can see nothing on the orange.fr website to tell me how much of my 10Mb I've got left. As to whether Option Internet automatically renews every month - something the helpdesk said suggested it did but I don't know.