View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
cirus5 (Offline)

Default Piranha sim question - 19-04-2014, 20:15

Hi, sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I am hoping someone with more experience will have an answer for me.

I have a Canadian Samsung Note II (Telus) that I unlocked using the free popular method that can easily be found online. I actually bought it outright directly from the Samsung store myself. I could not wait the 3 months grace period for Telus to unlock because my parents were leaving prior. I got the phone for them thinking it would be easier for them to send me texts.

Anyway, on the first trip, I gave them an old ekit sim (the one where you have to enter a passcode), and it worked fine.
I later lost that ekit sim.

They recently went on another trip, and I ordered a new ekit sim and a piranha sim. They could not use the new ekit sim at all (this sim asks you North America or Rest of World, instead of a passcode), it would not roam, and the piranha sim keeps giving them "invalid sim". I have since found the old ekit sim, and it still works fine. Sometimes the new ekit sim will work at home, but it is slow to register? I don't trust that the new ekit sim will work reliably abroad with my Note II.

All three sims work on my old unlocked LG P500H though!

I have asked Pirahna support for help, but they think the Note II is not fully unlocked? I have asked Telus, and they say if another sim works, it is fully unlocked. Also, since I have cancelled my monthly plan with Telus, they can't do anything for me anyway?

Is it true that my Note II is not fully unlocked? are there levels of unlocking??

I have also noticed that the Piranha sim chip (the gold part) is bigger than ekit or Telus sims. Maybe the Piranha is just not compatible with the Note II? (The Piranha tech said they have not had problems with the Note II?)

I am interested in the mysims2go, but am worried it won't work either.

I just want a stable sim that will work most of the time. Heck, the new ekit sim didn't even work in the U.S.!

If anyone has some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.