View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default My Recent Experiences in Ireland - Minutes and Data - 24-07-2011, 19:44

I posted a few questions on this Board before my trip to Ireland. Having just been there, I will post my findings now.

Best for Voice: Hands down the best option was Tesco Mobile. Tesco is everywhere, and they all sell their SIM cards at the cashiers where one leaves the store. Tesco utilizes the O2 network.

The SIM is free with a 10 EUR topup. They will hand you a SIM and a piece of paper with the topup code. There is no registration or ID requirement in Ireland, so you just put your SIM in the phone, follow the instructions to topup, and you're up and running. The rates to the US, Canada, and many other countries are 2 cents per minute - with no setup charge. If you talk for a minute, you pay 2 cents. Calls within Ireland are 20 cents per minute, however, the topup is doubled for calls within Ireland for 30 days after topup so you pay effectively 10 cents per minute. If you really wanted to game it you could call a Betamax type number in the US to make your calls to Ireland.

The data on Tesco was slow, so I can't recommend it. It seemed to be 2G despite claims it was 3G. The other problem with Tesco for data is that if you look at the website, you have to opt in to a data bundle. When you go past your allotment from the bundle, you are charged a very high rate for overages (unlike Meteor.)

Data: I used Meteor (I carry two phones.) The default plan charges 69 cents for 50MB per day, with 2 cents for each additional MB. The speed was excellent (I think between 2 and 3 Mbps), and I have no complaints (I was, however, in Dublin the entire time so I can's speak for rural reception.)

You can buy from a Meteor shop or a Carphone Warehouse, cost is 10 EUR topup gives you a free SIM.

You will need to get the APN information.