View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 06-08-2009, 20:38

You're right the details of the various Telcel tariffs have disappeared (although they still have passing mentions to them on the tariff page so maybe they're grandfathered for existing customers). I don't know if they've dropped those plans or not - and asking my local Telcel dealer wouldn't help, they don't even know data works yet.

Telcel does have "unlimited" data that can be brought by the day/week/month (49 pesos / $3.77 for a day, 649 pesos / $50 for a month).

I wasn't able to find prepaid data rates on the Movistar site - could you point me to where you found it? I'm still waiting for 3G in my area of Mexico - I'll certainly be interested in getting data from whichever company gets there first (Telcel already has 3G just 1 tower away).

Looking at Movistar though I did see one MAJOR change - see "movistar 123" - the rates for calls to the US and Canada are now the same as domestic calls - from 3.30 (25c) pesos/min down to 1.67 pesos (13c/min) to US for heavier users. Very comparable with US domestic prepaid. For somebody who mainly calls North America it looks like the best deal. (plus, most recharges are valid for 90 days).

Unless I'm misreading, it's now also cheaper to call a local Telcel number from Movistar 123 than from Telcel (apart from the Amigo fidelidad rate, which requires an account to be open a year).

Last edited by RTuesday; 06-08-2009 at 20:48..