View Single Post
Old
  (#15)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 22-08-2012, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsotirop View Post
their +44 number is a true UK prefix .. not IOM or Jersey... so, a lot cheaper +easier access (not blocked prefixes)
It depends on which provider you use to call the number.

Calling directly from my landline, most Isle of Man numbers would be exactly the same price as calling O2, and calling Cloud9 numbers exactly the same price as calling Three, and all main networks are currently 11.3 pence a minute.

The wholesale termination rate for calling ordinary UK mobiles is now 1.70 pence a minute, and regular retail price can be found for from about 2 pence (one promotional offer has 0.1p), though most UK-based retail cheap calls providers have rates from 4 to 10 pence a minute.

So even if some of these prefixes still have higher rates there is margin to connect them from most providers. But I'm not going to do a load of tests of 0844 numbers from the landline

Some non-UK wholesalers or retailers probably just charge more anyway for catch-all exclusions.

But that doesn't happen everywhere, with one I've looked at having retail rates at (all plus VAT) 4p for main network prefixes, then it charges Piranha at 8.2p with Guernsey Isle of Man Jersey Swiftnet Truphone and most others, Lyca 9.9p, Cloud9 8.2p or 14.9p.

And I'm not convinced that there are blocks on that many of these. One
particular network seems to be unreachable from one group of brands, but that's all I've heard of so far.