View Single Post
Old
  (#5)
seafarer (Offline)

Default SeaRoam - 31-07-2009, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
So on another forum I hear of another global SIM company called SeaRoam. What I am wondering is if anyone on here has heard of them before. Their site seems to claim a bit too much compared to what I have heard about other such services on here (coverage on over 700 carriers in 213+ countries, plus cruise ships/ferries & flights at $0.50/minute incoming & outgoing, $0.30 per sent SMS).

So, I have to ask: is this service any more legitimate than the others which have closed up in recent times? I know another SIM I have claims coverage on some 494 networks in 213 countries yet in my own country it will not register on the largest GSM network in the nation (AT&T) and this network is on the partner list.
Hi guys. This is my first post.
I am Port Chaplaincy IT Coordinator for The Mission to Seafarers which is an international charity working in ports all over the world to care for the welfare of seafarers on merchant ships, ferries and cruise liners.
My function (among others) is the research and devlopment of communications for seafarers away from home including our popular Mission to Seafarers International telephone card which is used by seafarers all over the world.
Our latest development is SEAROAM working in association with Millennium Communications and you will also see the parentage from previous posts.

The Mission to Seafarers has been caring for seafarers for more than 155 years and is respected by seafarers worldwide with an international network of Chaplains, seafarers centres, ship visitors and volunteers caring for their needs when far from home.

We see communications as a vital tool in our work and have developed a range of best quality, economical and reliable systems of communication to a seafaring community which is constantly travelling.

SEAROAM is one of these developments and provides the means for a seafarer (or anyone else) to make and for a single flat rate of 50 cents per minute from the countries listed on Searoam's website.

Since it's launch, it has been in great demand by seafarers and our chaplains are reporting an enthusiastic response. Seafarers are very 'switched on' people and have been asking for just such a porduct for a number of years.

Searoam is endorsed by The Mission to Seafarers as well as Blue Ocean Wireless which is a very reputable communications company iin the maritime world. You will see the two logos and links on Searoam's website.

With regard to another posting which I quote
"I do not think they can deliver those rates on a cruise ship calling back to the US. I tried their rate calculator for cruise ship calls and it says "error"

.... Whilst there is an option in the drop down menu on the rates calculator, Searoam is a GSM system and only works where GSM network is available which may well be not far out at sea. On a cruise ship (providing it is within range of a network, you would select the GSM network of the country you are in. (I admit, the cruies ship option should perhaps should not be there at the monent.)
It's all a little pointless because the flat rate is 50 cents in any country covered.

The obvious answer to any comments of course is to try it and see.

Hope this helps.

Port Chaplaincy IT Coordinator
The Mission to Seafarers
Welcome to the home of the Mission To Seafarers