Default 20-04-2006, 09:10

Quick Facts

Prepaid Card Name: United Mobile
Home Network Name: FL1 (Liechtenstein)
Country Code: +423
Prepaid Package Cost (Just SIM): ? 39.00, including ? 15.00
Prepaid Package Validity: 1 call/sms every 9 months
CSD access: No
GPRS/EDGE access: No (should be implemented soon)
SIM applications: calling menu
Manual included: Yes, several languages
Refill amounts: ? 10, 25, 50 and 100
Availability: online shop
Competitors: Travelsim, Hop, Callkey...

More In-Depth Information

Buying:

The Good:
It was once quite complicated to buy the old Riiing card, but now the online shop works well, several payment methods are supported and shipping is quite fast. You need registration (not compulsory in the past with Riiing), but everything is simple.

The Bad:
Starting kit price plus shipping is not so cheap, but similar to other international offers.

Usage:

The Good:
United Mobile service is probably the best among international GMS prepaid cards. Callback works fine and there are free incoming calls in most of Europe and some other countries as well. I used it in several countries and never had big issues, just sometimes I had to dial twice to get connected. SMS work well and had no interconnection problems. UM to UM rates are cheap. Great if you have Swiss friends which can call FL numbers like national ones.

The Bad:
Overall rates are not so cheap, expecially for short calls the set-up fee is really high, rates for SMS are really too high.
Calling a Liechtenstein mobile number is not always cheap.
No coverage in NZ, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon and some other countries covered by the competitors

TIPS:
There are tons of tips to use other callback systems with UM, but I'm not an expert about it, just ask Andy on the forum!

FINAL THOUGHTS:
I think United Mobile offer is still probably the best at least for mainly European travellers. Good coverage, decent rates and very good service. I think it's the most reliable service, so of course I can suggest it to anyone.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim