View Single Post
Old
  (#6)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 29-01-2007, 12:01

I've noticed before that some of the maps at GSM World seem a little out of date compared to those at network websites.

Within the UK 3 has a 2g roaming agreement with another network; it was O2 and is now Orange. At home (outside 3's 3g coverage) I'm shown 3 2g, Orange2/3g, T-mobile 3g, Vodafone 2g, in that order. But they insist my phone will now be on Orange here. My phone is two years old, and I think some of the restrictive settings (intended to stop people selecting 2g only all the time) now need to be undone to resolve this O2/Orange ambiguity ...

After a rather long call to them just now, it seems there is also such a 2g roaming agreement with Wind in Italy, but not in the other countries.

I had to carefully explain and ask the question about four times about what a network search would show me in Italy, and how would I be charged. Apparently I'd be shown all 4 networks, and would be charged roaming if the phone registered on Wind. He insists it would not auto-range on to Wind 2g outside 3's coverage and then still be shown as 3, which is exactly how it behaves here. It doesn't inspire confidence that it took so long to get these answers (and especially when at one moment he said there was no roaming in Denmark at all) ...

But if someone from Italy was to come here and use a 3 UK SIM they would also have 2g roaming on Orange of course ...