Thread: Singapore?
View Single Post
Old
  (#4)
achu (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-07-2006, 22:47

My wife is actually in Singapore on a business trip right now. This is not exactly a first-hand review, but most of the time I am on the other end of the phone conversation. :P

We did a little research here first before she left. We decided that StarHub's Green prepaid card works best for us. She bought the SIM card in a random 7-11 store. Since she is not a Singapore citizen, she needed her passport before she can buy it (for registeration purpose). According to the clerk, this is a new requirement.

The card costs SG$18 to buy and comes with SG$18 worth of credit. The per minute cost is pretty much what is listed here at PPGSM. Like other choices, Green prepaid also has "unlimted" incoming minutes option if you enable it. It costs SG$0.59 (or 0.69) to activate it and another SG$0.59 a day to keep it activated. Also, they have a temporary deal right now that you can called several countries (including USA) for "free" (no long-distance charge, except the normal minute fees).

The sound quality is pretty good. I normally call her using the prepaid calling card "OneSuite" ($0.02/min from USA to Singapore). There are several instance where the phone can't/won't connect. We are not sure whether it is OneSuite or her SIM. She also has problem once in a while trying to make an out-going call.

Overall we are satisfied with the SIM.