View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
JoelBurns (Offline)

Default Keeping Telcel Amigo microSIM active for a year, via onlline top-up. - 06-01-2012, 00:32

I realized my question on Telcel (Mexico) online top-ups actually posted in the Europe folder, so I am posting it anew under Americas:

I have a Telcel microSIM for my unlocked iPhone4 which I recently used almost exclusively for Amigo Banda Ancha (internet data) plus a few SMS when I was too lazy to or couldn't find a paperclip to swap in my AT&T SIM. I then used my iPhone as a mobile hotspot for my laptop, iPad, etc. (after I couldn't get a standard Telcel data SIM to work in an unlocked Mifi hotspot, but that's another topic).

I travel to Puerto Vallarta for a week or two around New Years every year and want to keep this SIM active (so I'm set as soon as I arrive, no taking a taxi and waiting in line at Telcel for an hour, etc.).

The clerk said I had to top up every 4 months to not lose the phone number (elsewhere on this forum people report 6 mo). I think he said something about 100 pesos, but my Spanish isn't that good and am not sure if that was a minimum.

Do you know if there is a minimum amount required to keep the SIM/number active?

If not, I see my options as (let me know if wrong):
  • Pay a minimum recharge every 60 days of 50 pesos (US$3.65) on telcel.com (or 30 pesos on topup-mobile.com it appears) and assume those balances roll-over if under 60 days, thus leaving me a balance of just under 300 pesos (if via telcel.com) when I return next year.
    Pay a minimum recharge every 4 months to just keep the SIM and phone number active then buy the voice/data plan I need on the day I leave for Mexico next December.

Unfortunately telcel only offers weekly, bi-weekly or monthly automated online recharging requiring me to set myself 6 or 3 calendar reminders a year in the above scenarios. (Know of a work-around?)

Thanks in advance RTuesday (and others) for your advice on the minimum to keep the SIM active.

Joel