View Single Post
Old
  (#30)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-10-2011, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_65 View Post
All the above info is useful but most of the time we will be travelling in our car,chasing the storms and really need to have access to LIVE coverage of radar pictures,so I assume we would satelite connection?[Hotspot,stick,etc etc]but pay as you go type set up...
Unless you're in a rural area of the west (which doesn't generally have the type of storms I assume you're chasing) then cellphone (mobile phone) data should be enough, you don't need satellite.

Others have mentioned the payg offers from AT&T and T-Mobile, although you'll probably find they're only at 2G speeds (similar to dial up) in some country areas (so it'll make downloading the animated radars difficult!).

Since your safety depends on it, it's probably worth getting at least two options, from different carriers. There will be holes in the coverage of any network (especially if a storm is just going through...).

If you get a mobile router to plug the stick into you can use more than one device with it.

There's also Truconnect TruConnect Mobile - Contract Free 3G Mobile Internet for Laptop and iPad that uses the Sprint network, I've no idea how good they are (I don't think anybody here's tried them yet).

Don't forget a NWS weather radio of course, low tech but a good backup.

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice