View Single Post
Old
  (#27)
bylo (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-10-2011, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday View Post
So unless you have a particular need for internet access on the move, you could save a lot of expense and bother by just using internet in your hotel, or while having a coffee or eating a burger.
There's generally no need to stay at the hotel or buy something at the restaurant. I've gotten good WiFi signals from their parking lots

One annoyance is that almost every hotspot will want you to agree to their terms and conditions every time you're in range. One US hotel that I stayed at a week ago had something like 50 hotspots in the facility [the highest number I saw was hotelname48] and I'd have to re-agree every time my smartphone got handed over to a different hotspot as I walked through the hotel. This gets very annoying very fast.

One bit of good news: Most hotels have fast broadband connections and no apparent data limits. I was able to download several GBs of TV shows as I travelled at speeds faster than I get on DSL at home.

Quote:
Even for navigation there's a variety of android apps that will download the maps in advance (while you have wi-fi) so that you can use them later.
Any suggestions for Android Gingerbread?

Quote:
I travelled for months around the US and Canada this summer and never found a need for GSM/3G data, there's so much free wi-fi around.
I don't have a data plan on my smartphone. The only time I find this to be a real problem is when I'm at the dentist's or lawyer's office and their WiFi is protected. Also some public facilities, e.g. at airports or hospitals, have a paywall on their hotspots at ~$10/day.

Phones: OnePlus 5 • Nexus 5
SIMs: CA Fido/Fongo • AT A1-B.free • Google Fi
R.I.P.: UM • UM+