View Single Post
Old
  (#5)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Question 24-01-2009, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
You are in the U.S.? If so, and you are a T-Mobile customer, you can use one of their UMA capable phones to connect to a wi-fi connection anywhere in the world. The minutes used would come out of your minute bucket (or you can pay $10/mo. for unlimited minutes while connected by UMA/wifi.
They obviously don't advertise the fact you can use their phones w. UMA capability this way - but they even provide support if you are overseas.
Obviously this isn't as good as having a phone connection anywhere you have cell signal - but "free" calling can't be beaten. We have used it everywhere from the Dubai airport to hotels, coffee shops and apts. from UK, Spain, Costa Rica, Israel, etc.

...mike
As a matter of fact I am, and have a BlackBerry Curve 8320 which is compatible and I could see using that when abroad... I asked my question more as a hypothetical as opposed to something I will be doing anytime soon. Heck I'm not sure when I'll be travelling outside the US & chances are, by that time things will likely have changed even more once again.