View Single Post
Old
  (#7)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-05-2013, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie1955 View Post
Inquisitor, I just stumbled on this old post. It is almost a year later and I have happily been using my unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-1717. That said, I am about to head to London for two weeks and was planning to use Lebara, again, or the O2 International Sim. Am I going to have problems because this phone doesn't support 900 or will 2100 suffice? Thanks, Lizzie
As long as you stay in urban regions you should see pretty good 3G coverage on the 2100 MHz band, which was the only frequency used for 3G for years (so-called "UMTS2100") and therefore has been spread widely. Of course with a UMTS900-capable phone you would still experience a fast 3G connection in some places where the UMTS2100 signal has already faded (especially indoors). But besides UMTS900 and UMTS2100 your phone will be able to use the old GSM900 and GSM1800 networks (both slow 2G technologies) from Vodafone (that's the network used by Lebara) and EE (the new company emerged from the merger of T-Mobile UK and Orange UK), so you will hardly lose coverage. Nevertheless 2G coverage is slowly deteriorating as Vodafone and EE have been switching off GSM900 in order to use the released frequencies for UMTS900 and EE have also been switching off GSM1800 in order to deploy LTE1800.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com