View Single Post
Old
  (#27)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-07-2012, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtheprof View Post
Just ordered a Piranha mobile sim, dual US-UK number is free, (not Estonia or Isle of Man, so cheap for people to call you), good rates in most locations, though data rates vary by provider in some countries (I've been assured that the sim will try to register on the "preferred" provider with cheaper data, we'll see..)
also want to try out the VOIP integration, on WIFI people are meant to be able to call you on the same number as the SIM.
outside UK and US, it's a call-back system, have to see how reliable that is. Had problems a few years back when I had a Geosim.
my experience with the reliablity of piranha sim is quite good and very competitive rates. the voip application worked fine on my android phone.
very important: if calls are received via the voip applicattion there is NO charge for the incoming calls, in all countries!
outgoing calls via the voip application are much much chepear than calling directly via the mobile network.
i recommend to use the voip application only via WIFI, not via 3G.

there are some countries (mainly non-european) that piranha sim is calling directly, call through without callback.

the sim in Greece registers to the stongest signal network availiable.
Piranha mobile uses a true UK number, as Maxroam do, not Jersey or IOM prefixes.

the only serious disadvantage discovered afterwards is that unaswered by the reciepient calls are charged, from the time the callback is answered.
the charge per unaswered call while roaming in Greece (depends on roming country) is 0.09pounds.
if the call is answered only the normal per minute charge is billed.

I also attached a local Greek number to my sim for 2pounds per month and works great, no additional charges when receiving calls to the Greek number.
local numbers are availiable for over 70countries

for data roaming i use Roamline & Ekit Global Premium Service simcads, depending which is the cheapest for the country i'm roaming.
these 2simcards have the lowest possible data rates for medium-high usage... medium-high usage=approximately above 60mb per week

Last edited by fsotirop; 04-07-2012 at 21:20..