View Single Post
Old
  (#21)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 20-08-2007, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbaer1 View Post
Yeah I think I may go with TIM but I am leaning toward buying it here in the US and paying a bit more so she has it when she lands and doesn't have to hassle with finding a store that sells TIM and getting Euro to pay for it unless you know of a store at Malpensa airport that sells TIM or WIND.
We do have these amazing new things in Europe called "credit cards". (Though I would advise her to have some euros in her pocket before she arrives.) You are better off buying in Italy -- just figure out what you codice fiscale is ahead of time. Again, have a look at http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/italy.html

Any problems with sending or receiving SMS from Europe to the US rest with the US operators, who were very late in adding SMS and making it a viable inter-network option. However, I could have sworn my Italian one worked fine sending to the US. (IMO it can be a problem with too many people stateside who don't know how to respond to a text message. As you will soon discover, this is not an issue in Italy...)

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell