Old
  (#4)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 07-09-2006, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATHA531
Andy....

Are there vodafone companies in those countries...when first conceived vodafone required you to roam on a vodafone network....it seems they have now opened it up to favored network providers in just about all of the European countries perhaps to compete with O2's 35p rate or perhaps to try to fend off eu intervention...
I think you're right about the original list, though some were not obviously Vodafone, like Proximus in Belgium, which they owned 25% of, and a share of Swisscom mobile. Edit - you've corrected me on another thread about Proximus (now sold)

They have other alliances; I've browsed a bit on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobil...twork_operators

and found that for example TDC (Denmark) owns Bite, and Mobilkom owns the Slovenian network Si.mobil, and "Elisa [ex Radiolinja] works together in co-operation with Vodafone."

It certainly does look like a pan-EU motivation of some kind. The biggest hint of this might be the inclusion of T-mobile Slovakia - why do a deal with your rivals?
And if T-mobile can agree to this in one country, why not decide to do it themselves on their own networks?