View Single Post
Old
  (#52)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 01-07-2008, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57g View Post
was/is ''Wind Plus non-stop'' not originally to be a WAP-only service? could this not be the reason that certain things are blocked and cannot be made to work?
Yes, I'm sure that is the reason. I was sometimes served WML pages instead of html - I assume that the proxy was altering the http requests in some way.
Quote:
...even if it worked before, maybe they got smart and noticed how many users were actually on laptops etc..
Maybe they read this forum! I don't think they could reliably detect whether someone is using a tethered laptop, but they could certainly look at the browser identification strings (UA string) and detect browsers that don't run on phones. I was going to try changing the UA string of Firefox to Opera Mini to see if it was any better. But I doubt if Wind are bothered by a few people using the service in this way; we are paying, and it won't have much effect on the service.
Quote:
.see my post on the sticky above: i have a feeling the service is turned off, or at least not offered anymore to new customers. wish somebody in GR cld check and confirm this, either way, as i will only be there late july.
I return in late August so let us know how you get on.

As I said above, I'd use and pay for a proper internet service if there was one at a reasonable price - like with WInd Italy. (Are you reading this, Wind GR?)