View Single Post
Old
  (#7)
charlosian (Offline)

Default 29-03-2007, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazcedric View Post
Hi, charlosian

As I mentioned in the earlier post, if you'd like to make POSTPAID contract, you need to have yourself "registered" in Japanese government database.
It may worth doing this since duration of your stay is intermediate length.
Per Japanese government web page, foreigners who stay within 90 days are "not required" to register. This is different from visa issue.
The registration takes place at the closest government office where you will stay in Japan.
They have application form that you need to fill out and you also need to submit your passport and photos.
Then, they will issue an ID (with your picture).
Per Docomo's web page, I found that you need to provide this ID and credit card to make a new postpaid contract.
In their website, they mention that customer with shorter (less than 90 days) validity of alien registration status can only apply contract paid by credit card.
I am not sure whether there is any penalty applied when you "terminate" this contract at 6wks.
Per Softbank's web page, it looks like the validity of alien registration status has to be longer than 90 days, or they will not even accept the application (even if you apply for prepaid cellphone).

So, in summary,
A) rental phone (~$2 to $5/day + outgoing call usage) or rental SIM card (~$1/day + outgoing call usage) - unlocked cellphone needs to have W-CDMA in case of renting SIM card. These are probably ideal if you would like to have Japanese DID number and majority of calls are domestic.
OR
B) Celtrek SIM - with a nice, compatible phone (ie, costs some upfront money, but may worth it if you will make international travels).
I would ask DRNewcomb for further suggestions (particularly compatible cellphone) since he recently used Celtrek in Japan.
In this case, DID number will be US number - easy to be called from your family in the US, but not so convenient to be reached by local folks (due to the international number).

Unfortunately, I have not tried either of them by myself since I have Japanese driver's license and currently have a Softbank prepaid cellphone (useless here in US, though).
But I may consider Celtrek for my next trip since my main cell phone is Nokia E70.
I believe it works since I could roam using Hong Kong Smartone-vodafone prepaid SIM card with E70 in Japan last December. My E70 picked signals from either NTT Docomo or Softbank depending on the location.

Hope this will help you.
thanks a lot, very good info. you think a hk prepaid phone would work?
hmm, any places where i can find those online.
i really like the still of japanese and korea cell phones.