View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
eieio (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Canada: US person w/TMobile Blackberry visiting Canada looking for good SHORT TERM - 21-07-2007, 22:27

Hello All! Thanks for the great posts throughout... i couldn't really find a solution after reading the various posts so i'm posting a new thread. thank you in advance for helping me out!

I'm a US person who will visit Canada for roughly 10 days and i'm using a US TMobile Blackberry Pearl 8100 on a US Tmobile plan with Blackberry service added on (obviously).

when i arrive in Canada for my vacation (vancouver, calgary, lake louise, banff, jasper), i expect and would like to be able to make many phone calls to the US, very few calls within Canada, and would prefer to have uninterrupted Blackberry service (but i can give up Blackberry service if i have to, if the long distance charges to the US is much lower).

as far as i can see, for Fido and Rogers, the per minute rates are both VERY HIGH to call from Canada to the US at roughly $0.30 per minute! ouch! it also doesn't mention Blackberry service on their "pre paid" part of their sites.

as a fallback, Plan "B" option, i can bring another Quad Band phone (HTC phone) and only use the Blackberry for emails but NO voicemails, but i have not figured out how to do that either. (PS: i did that in London where i did not accept any calls on my Blackberry Pearl, only used the Blackberry International service, and used my Quad band HTC phone for all outgoing calls)

Any advice on how / where to buy a SIM card and what plans to go for? Much appreciated!

btw, my first stop will be center of town Vancouver, so anywhere that is very close/convenient to that area for getting a SIM card would be most appreciated! (in Vancouver, we'll be near the Burrard and Georgia Streets area, fyi)

thank you all very much in advance!