View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
joeko2202 (Offline)

Question Italian SIM - Tangables Comparison - 10-03-2009, 19:34

I'm currently looking at obtaining a few prepaid SIM cards for use in Italy (they're going to be handed to my wedding party for communications). I've gotten all the tariff info (great resource!), but I can't seem to find good, recent info on some intangables, and my Italian is very marginal. So I ask the experts:

1) Coverage: We'll be in the Tuscan region, and was wondering how good is the coverage in the area for each of the providers. I took my USA T-Mo quad-band phone with me last time, and i don't think I ever missed any coverage, but I didn't note what network I was roaming on (I think it was mostly TIM, which I think is T-Mo's roaming partner). Is there a provider I should not even consider? (3 is out since I don't have enough UMTS phones to go around)

2) 3G/Data: I have a G1 (HTC Dream), and the thing is a 3G data whore. I would love to keep using my phone, but I would need decent data rates. It seems that Wind still has the best data rates, but again, no clue on 3G coverage. That, and due to some "bugs" in Android, the damn phone happily chews on data even when told not to...so I may bail on needing data altogether.

3) Top-Ups outside of Italy: I'd love to keep the SIM (I also have the possibility to return on business), so keeping the number fresh and current with credit would be great. I have a few UK SIMs, and they're easy to top-up in the US. However, I've gotten a mixed feeling about the possibility of Italian top-up with non-Italian sources of payment. Vodafone seems the best in this regard (I can get UK Vodafone vouchers), but no idea about the other two.

4) Mobile-to-mobile: I couldn't tell easily, but none of the carriers seem to have a lower mobile-to-mobile-on-same-network rate. Is this a characteristic of the Italian carriers, or am I being coddled by my US and UK experiences?