View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Could T-Mobile (U.S.) new global plan doom the global SIM card business? - 12-10-2013, 05:32

See Stu's post about it.

I have been a TM customer since before TM came to the U.S. and took over a couple of regional operators. (They now cover the entire U.S.)

TM no longer requires contracts on either pre-paid or postpaid accounts. While they have, for some years, sold prepaid plans, this Global option is only for postpaid customers. This means that it might be almost impossible for any non-U.S. person to get an account. Anyone can get a prepaid account as easily as walking in and buying a loaf of bread. There are no government requirements.

Maybe there is an opening for an enterprising U.S.(and/or foreign?) entrepreneur to "rent out" T-M SIM cards? He/she would have to figure out how to control all the SIMs on the account.
Individual and small business accounts are limited to 5 lines. First line costs $50/mo., 2nd line $30 and lines 3-5 $10 each. I don't know the structure for "medium" sized business's. Every line has unlimited text, voice and 500MB of fast data in the U.S. You can buy 2G of more data, for a per line cost of $10. After you use your allotment, you are throttled to about 128Kbs.

The TM SIM would be useful for almost any intl. traveler.
Eg: You are Italian. You travel to France or China or Costa Rica. When in those or any of the 100+ countries (called Simple Global Countries -SGC) that are covered, you can call back to Italy or any other SGCs for 20¢/min. Incoming calls are all 20¢. Texts, to SGC countries are included unlimited. Incoming text has always been free.
The Unlimited Data you get is limited to 2G - good enuf for email. You can buy different packages of faster data - but I forget the cost. Comes out to be about 20-25¢/MB, as I recall.

The extreme example of change of price: When we were in Vietnam 18 months ago, using voice would have cost us $6/min!! Of course, didn't use it. They are a SGC country - now 20¢.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.