View Single Post
Old
  (#6)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 05-11-2006, 15:38

I carry a Virgin UK prepaid sim for GPRS usage when I am roaming. I use it for voice only when in the UK. They charge the same for data usage (approx 5 pounds/meg) regardless if one is roaming or not.

Their sims are all over ebay. They roam out of the box and come GPRS enabled. All that needs to be done is get the settings from their website or have it sent to your phone. Now, you can't register a non-UK issued credit card with them though for automatic topup. But, who needs that when the topups are on ebay UK for less than face value. I have bought all my topups from there. The advantage with the Virgin pay by direct debit option is that the call rates are a little lower (don't care! I don't use it for that), and they supposedly roam in a few more countries. My experince though is that I have been able to use mine in countries that are not even listed for the non by direct debit option. For example I have been able to roam in Nigeria (just recently), St. Martin/Maarteen and other islands not listed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnacraft
Thank you all.

Yes, I'm sorry to see the Wind deal go away. T-Mobile USA allows voice roaming in Europe for $0.99 (about ?0.75), and GPRS for $0.015/kb (?0.12). Since I use GPRS more than voice, buying a SIM card in France hardly makes sense for me.

JAC

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile