View Single Post
Old
  (#12)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-03-2016, 13:38

It's definitely been confirmed on other websites that the FreedomPop global sim is using Three UK. Despite being in a LTE hotspot (basically an unlocked version of an AT&T/Novatel Mifi Liberate) the signal is reported as only 3g. It can function in 3g on either T-Mo or AT&T in the US but is reported as having high ping rates of around 200-300 ms due to running off UK servers.
Tempting because it would give me access to data networks other than my current access to Sprint (FreeedomPop CDMA or Karma) or Verizon (through wireless tether). But I'm hesitant to sign up for the freedompop global offer due to:
-Lack of coverage other than US and Western Europe. I'd like to also see Canada, Bermuda and Non-US Caribbean coverage.
-Reported long ping times on internet connections in the US.
-Problems with availability of sim cards. They recently restocked but were sold out again within hours. I have a decommisioned hotspot similar to what they have in stock, so wouldn't want to pay for a second one.
-Slick business practices by FreedomPop. When signing up for FreedomPop Sprint CDMA coverage, I had to deselect the 30 day free trial of paid service, additional unwanted service add-ons that would be auto-billed quarterly, and automatic top-ups(they now charge a US$5 fee for that where I paid nothing at the time). Then I added FreedomFriends (for 50 mb/month per added friend up to a max of 500 mb extra a month) and I also shift unused data between my three FreedomPop CDMA devices to boost my usable data allotment. While I understand FreedomPop has to make money to stay in business, you have to jump through hoops to get the optional truly free service from them.
-Varying degrees of customer service on the odd occasion I've needed it. Sometimes good and sometimes not.
-No voice or SMS access on FreedomPop Global sim cards other than through VOIP or SIP based services.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype