View Single Post
Old
  (#16)
bylo (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-08-2017, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbln View Post
Good news: Your Austrian A1 SIM will work in Germany at domestic Austrian rates (roam like at home) (if its still alive).
It's easy to check: just go to the Austrian article of the Wiki, select your operator and look for the "EU roaming" section and for A1 it looks good.
Genau. I did the same itinerary a couple of months ago, coming back to MUC on 14Jun, so I missed the free-roam start date by one day.

But nothing is ever as easy as it should be. My SIM is micro size for a Nexus 5 phone. I recently bought a Oneplus 5 phone which uses a nano size SIM. I could cut my SIM down but I don't want to risk destroying it. So I have to bring both phones, then set up the N5 as a WiFi hotspot for the OP5 until I get to Innsbruck. There's an A1 shop about 500m from the train station. Hopefully they can transfer the account and balance to a nano SIM or they can cut the SIM down more accurately than I can.

Quote:
You are lucky because it's currently a nightmare to get a prepaid SIM card in Germany registered and activated. I really had to greylist (or graylist) my country as many foreigners and locals alike can't register prepaid SIM cards on major brands like Telekom now. That's how we fight terrorism here I hope this will change again. I did some updates about it here and in the Wiki.
Yes, security theater at its worst. But at least they relaxed the liability for running public WiFi hotspots so for the past couple of years one can get it at MUC without having a functioning phone to receive an SMS code. Tiny steps forward...

Phones: OnePlus 5 • Nexus 5
SIMs: CA Fido/Fongo • AT A1-B.free • Google Fi
R.I.P.: UM • UM+