View Single Post
Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-09-2009, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilknarf View Post
...but I see that it's a W-CDMA network, with roaming on Movistar GSM. Would I be ok with this card and phone combo, assuming it would roam the entire time or should I look for a different card?
Frank
Hi Frank and Inquisitor...

Yoigo actually uses 3 networks in Spain: It's own UMTS network, then Movistar (both UMTS and GSM) but it can also still use the Vodafone GSM network who were their old partner. (There is still an agreement until 2012). The last is now rarely used as Movistar is always prioritised.

Unlike the case Inquisitor mentioned in Germany, there is no separate agreement which would only allow roaming where Yoigos own network is not available. So you should have no problems at all! Actually, my old Yoigo SIM is practically banished to an old 5 year old GSM-only handset now but it works everywhere!

Just to confirm... I just popped it into a newer UMTS handset to do some tests. Even where I am at the moment (downtown Madrid), my Yoigo SIM registers and shows full coverage on Yoigo's own W-CDMA network but when I switch the phone to GSM-only mode, it registers fine with Movistar which interestingly actually has a weaker signal where I am located. Also, interestingly I cannot register with Vodafone at all under these conditions!

However, are you aware that there is a minimum monthly spend on Yoigo? This is a show stopper to most occasional visitors to Spain!