View Single Post
Old
  (#548)
peterdoo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 19-09-2016, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I phoned up to ask about this, and was told that the increase was mandated by regulators. You can well imagine that I called this as untrue, and said I thought it cynical of the company to brief its staff to lie to customers.
Of course the regulator does not mandate price increase. However there are other limitations that come from regulation and affect prices. Here are two examples:

The new EU roaming regulation mandates that the reference price for all calls in the EU roaming is the off-net price within the home country. In the case of Toggle, that is the UK->UK price. All caps for EU roaming are calculated relative to this price. So maybe instead of lowering the roaming prices, Toggle rised the home price in order to get compliant. Even so, there are many prices for the EU roaming where Toggle apparently charges more than allowed by the regulation.
The maximum prices from any EU country (except UK) to any EU country in the case of Toggle should be:
Voice: 13p/min
SMS: 5p/min
Data: 20p/MB
Incoming: 1p/min
Just been to Portugal, where the SMS from Toggle indicates 18p/min for calls. In Croatia the SMS indicates 67p/MB for Data, 28p/min for calls, 7p/min for incoming and 8p/SMS. All above the limits.

Although the termination rates within the EU have been regulated close to 0,01€/min, that is only valid for the calls originating and terminating within the EEA. More and more operators charge much higher termination rates for the calls delivered from the operators outside the EEA and for the calls where the originator is outside the EEA even though the call passes through an EEA operator (mentioned here: https://www.technologyslegaledge.com...ination-rates/). In general this makes it more difficult for the operators to use low cost routes. Maybe Lycamobile, that is handling many non-EEA calls has difficulties to get the lower termination rates.