View Single Post
Old
  (#18)
TheSquid (Offline)

Default 16-07-2006, 06:28

Quote:
So, it seems that it's enough to have a registration stamp on your migration card to buy a SIM card, isn't it?
Yes. That's also the story I got from the people at Domodedovo airport. It's also the story that my professor, who is fluent in Russian, got from the people at Megafon. She bought her SIM from a semi-reputable dealer in the US and, when she arrived in Russia, it didn't work. They made it work, but it was an interesting ordeal, because obviously the SIM wasn't registered to her and they wouldn't let her buy a new SIM without a stamp on the migration card. Then, as she was arguing with them in the Megafon store about making it work, after not being able to place a call not five minutes before, it started working. Worked fine after that!

Quote:
What's strange about Полиция Нового Орлеана? Here passports are being issued by милиция (i.e. police), so Russians think it's police who issue passports everywhere.
I know that, but I still think it's funny, because it said "New Orleans Passport Agency" and I'm from North Carolina. That's a quarter of the way across the country. It's also certainly not issued by a police department, a city-funded - not federally-funded or even federally-regulated - agency in the US.

Quote:
MegaFon currently sell recharge cards valid for all of their branches, which are called 'Единая карта оплаты' and usually look as a green colored card with big white digits showing the card value in rubles on it's face.
I was kind of wondering why it was the "one card of payment." That explains that.

Quote:
Had you tried such the combination? Also, it seems you have to set up call redirection (when not reachable or may be when busy etc.) to the voice mail number (+79262000222) yourself.
I'd set it up, but I had (and still have) no idea how to set up call redirection. I haven't had a GSM phone in four years.

Quote:
And, finally, visitors to Russia should keep in mind that CPP (Calling Party Pays) is now working here (since 1st of June). So, any calls to Russian SIMs (including calls from abroad) are free for their owners.
1st of July you mean, right? And only when you're not roaming? I had to pay for incoming calls to my Megafon Moskva number (+7-926...) while in St. Petersburg on the Megafon Severo-Zapad network from July 1 to July 7. I didn't use it much for that reason. And because I didn't think I could recharge it.