Thread: HK Data
View Single Post
Old
  (#5)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-08-2008, 23:33

Yazcedric,

If you still have the packaging available, any chance of e-mailing me a camera picture of the same. I'll privately send you an e-mail address and US mobile number capable of receiving the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazcedric View Post
I recently purchased and used this SIM card (when I visited Hong Kong last month).
HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable Sim Card
from Hutchison (3) Hong Kong.
This SIM card is sold at HK$98. It comes in a "blue-ish" package.
You may need to clarify/emphasize that you would like to use it more often for "PC",
otherwise, they will try to sell you a different prepaid SIM card (the rate for data is worse than this card).
Rate is HK$2 per 1MB and
HK$48/day for "unlimited" usage (ie they cap the charge at HK$48/day) while you are in Hong Kong .
Voice is also available (locally and roaming, but I never tested).
I had to insert this SIM into my cell phone first time (to activate the service),
but after that I was able to use it in both data card and cell phone.
The card is valid for 180 days - I would purchase recharge vouchers at the same time when you purchase SIM card
(if you would like to keep this SIM card active beyond 180 days).

Roaming is available - rate is HK$0.11/kb. I was able to roam in South Korea,
but not successful while I was in Japan
(could not establish the data connection - although my cell phone kept showing "Vodafone" with good signal intensity).

I purchased this SIM card at the departure floor (Level7) in Hong Kong Airport (there is "3" store near the entrance of security area).
It was a bit difficult to purchase this card at the usual "3" store in Tsimshatsui
since the sales-reps told me that they did not carry these cards.
They told me to go to 3PremiumCentre (in Tsimshatsui), where there was a huge line to be served (and I gave up after waiting for 30 minutes).
Well, I visited the store next day when iPhone was released in Hong Kong,
so the sales reps might have not been interested in selling these cheap cards to me.