View Single Post
Old
  (#12)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 24-02-2006, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz5959
We have 3 Verizon phones on a family plan and one Sprint phone, none of them are GSM. I do not think I can just get a SIM from verizon hooked to my daughters cell number, but I will ask.

So, is that Siemans phone a good choice to own, or is there something better in that price range ($80)? And, do you agree that buying a united mobile card for this particular trip, is the better thing to do?
The first thing you need to understand about this bunch is that we are all dedicated to doing things the cheapest way possible. We spend huge amounts of time looking for a way to make a phone call for a few pennies less. The advice you get here will always have that slant.

Verizon used to have a system where you could get a GSM SIM for roaming overseas. The SIM cost something like $10/month. Since they came out with their expensive dual-mode GSM/CDMA phone, they may no longer offer just the SIM. But do ask. The advantage of having a roming SIM is not low cost, it's universal access. Once you have it, you don't have to worry about how you will get a phone that works. Having the ability to GSM roam gives me the leasure to find the local prepaid SIM I want after I get there.

There are many better phones than the Siemens but $80 is about the least you will pay for a new, unlocked GSM phone, without working some strange deal. It will be a good phone that will work well for your family.

Check your international calling rates to a mobile phone in Liechtenstein. The costs run from 11c/min to around $1.70/min. This is where the UM SIM is based and the cost of calling the UM number will influence your decision. Otherwise, just about everyone here owns at least one UM/Riiing SIM at least as a backup.