Old
  (#81)
ChrisNeedsToKnow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default review - 27-05-2013, 15:09

Hi all,

a little review after I received my Togglemobile SIM:
  • toggle mobile ordered on 22.May 2013.
  • Creditcard debited on 24.May 2013, value date 29. May 2013. Wow.
  • The card was delivered in a B5-envelope to Switzerland on 27.May 2013 (today), originating from the UK, by registered mail.
Popped the card into the phone, nothing happened. I tried to access all available networks manually - to no avail. After an akward 2 minutes the phone displayed "please reboot your phone". After rebooting, the phone logged itself into the Swisscom network. (Sunrise and Orange not possible, even trying manually).

First thing, receiving a confusing SMS (I´m currently in Switzerland)
"You will pay max £0.28/min for a local call,
£4.10/min to Country (fixed line or GSM),
£0.07/min for calls received and
£0.08/SMS sent"
(I copied the SMS 1:1, inkl. what may seem strange!)

My own Toggle-UK-number wasn´t communicated by SMS. According to the manual it can be found on the SIM card holder, but it´s not there. Effectively, the number isn´t written anywhere. As the number is needed to register online, I called myself to obtain the number (0044-7404...). (EDIT: You can retrieve the number through *132#) Armed with the number, online registration is a breeze (without UK-prefix, thus 07404... only). When registering, all my data was re-requested (name, addresse etc...). I thus assume that you can use totally different details than those given during the ordering process.

After registering I added a Swiss Nummber/IMSI (0041-77-959...). Super simple, but you need a passport to copy the data from one of the machine-readable lines. Any blanks have to be filled with "<". (No idea if this would also work with an ID)

I rebooted the phone, just to make sure. I was hoping to receive a different pricing-SMS now. Unfortunately I received the (incorrect?) SMS (see above) again.

Next I added a Spanish (0034-63-290...) and a French (0033-6-056...) number. This worked between "immediately" and "one minute". All numbers were immediately reachable, without restarting the phone. Status is first shown as "pending" later "registered". Very nice implementation.

As a first test I called my own French Toggle# from a landline. The call was terminated on the Toggle-SIM in Switzerland (Swisscom network) without problems and in perfect quality. After 10 minutes the call appeared in the online "call history" - free .

Next I want to port my "normal" UK-number to the ToggleSIM. I can only do this in about 2 weeks, so I´ll report then.

Rgds,
Christian

EDIT1: Just as I finish writing this report, I receive numerous SMS. Welcome-SMS displaying the UK-Nummer, incl. the invitation to register online (too late ), and each additional number triggered 2 confirmation SMS.

EDIT2: After ~1 hour I received the following SMS: "Call 322 from UK, +44 7438 646322 from abroad or 02071322322 from another phone to fully activate your service and enjoy all the benefits of toggle mobile" I choose the +44 numner, "1" for customer service. "Please have your PUK available". I wondered what else should be activated here. The friendly Indian-English speaking Lady reveals: "Nothing" - if you already registered online, there´s no need to call. This SMS is just sent out to all customers by default. Strangely enough the call was free from Switzerland, I expected £0.03/min.

EDIT3: Call diverts from my Swiss Flatrate to the Swiss Toggle# were blocked/not forwarded, just as expected. As such I have to use an additional detour via my own Voip-equipment. I don´t get it - from Toggle´s perspective this is just another incoming call for which they can charge interconnect. Strange. I´d be willing to pay a few pence/min to be able to divert directly.

EDIT4: I wrote an email to customer service, asking to have the mailbox disabled. Let´s see if this works.

EDIT5: Call diverts on the ToggleSIM cannot be changed. This I also don´t get. Should be in Toggle´s interest to allow this, as they could charge interconnect + termination as per pricelist?

Summary Numbers/Prefixes, in case someone needs:
  • UK: 0044-7404...
  • Switzerland: 0041-77-959...
  • France: 0033-6-056...
  • Spain: 0034-63-290...

Last edited by ChrisNeedsToKnow; 27-05-2013 at 15:55..