View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
Yazcedric (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Several catches for this offer... - 29-01-2008, 18:28

Hi, DRNewcomb,

I read Softbank's Japanese press-release and also obtained additional info from other Japanese customers who recently asked Softbank's customer service.

They apparently mentioned that "detail of this offer will be further clarified after 2/4", but here is what I and other Japanese who live outside Japan are concerned.

Unfortunately, Softbank will most likely ask every prepaid customer to show passport AND "additional ID" (such as Japanese certificate as a visitor=you can apply this certificate seperately from your visa if you have visitor visa to stay in Japan longer than ~90days, or Japanese driver's license issued by Japanese police=NOT an international driver's license, etc). This rule is essentially the same when the current customer purchases their prepaid phone (non-GSM). This crazy rule was developed after numerous cases of abuse made by domestic "prepaid" cellphone users who Japanese police had difficulty in locating due to lack of record of their addresses. Please see my old posts for more details.

Unless Softbank changes this rule drastically (very unlikely, because the police puts lots of pressure on cellphone carriers about this rule), or the individual agent does not follow this rule (if police finds out = big punishment for the agent), essentially, this prepaid offer is not aimed for a foreign visitor who comes to Japan for sight-seeing (or very short-term stay).

I still maintain my Japanese driver's license and was able to purchase their prepaid phone in 2006, but I also heard several complaints made by Japanese living outside Japan whose driver's licenses were expired (and could not purchase prepaid cellphone).

I hope they may change the rule for this product, though...

(I need to update my signiture, please ignore my current SIM cards).

Yazcedric

Cellphones: Nokia E70 (unlocked), Nokia 6010 (unlocked), Nokia 6030 (T-mobile USA)
Prepaid SIM: T-mobile USA, Smartone-Vodafone HK, Yackiemobile, O2 UK
Expired SIM: Orange France (prepaid)
Unknown status: MeSim (most likely expired)
Prepaid phone: Softbank Sharp 201SH
VoIP: Voxalot, voipcheap, Tpad.com, Freedigits.com, Globe7, Gizmo project, voicestick
Mobile VoIP: Truphone, Fring

Last edited by Yazcedric; 29-01-2008 at 18:30.. Reason: typo