Thread: Toggle Mobile
View Single Post
Old
  (#111)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Some Toggle Mobile Thoughts - 30-05-2013, 02:19

As this seems to be the most knowledgeable discussion going on Toggle Mobile, I thought I'd post these miscellaneous thoughts/questions here:
  • Seems Toggle will really become most useful when they have data packages for countries other than the native country of the SIM (UK for £ SIM, NL for € SIM). Presumably would have to extend life of IMSI to coincide with data plan - e.g., if bought a 15 day data plan with 10 days left on IMSI.
  • Not clear what happens when 30 days are up on IMSI life. I suppose people may get caught making calls that they think are at the 3p per minute rate, but actually end up paying the higher roaming rate. Also, for some country IMSIs there is a time lag between requesting IMSI and getting number
  • Re IMSI time lag, got Spanish and NL numbers instantaneously, took longer for France. France is the only one of the three that requires passport information. The number showed on the website but it did not show as "registered" until some time later - and will not show as registered until actually downloads the number to phone,
  • My guess is that Italy is not among the Toggle countries because of the Italian security regulations. In Italy, one has to have an Italian tax ID number to get a SIM card. I suspect the Italians may not allow Toggle to assign an Italian IMSI number absent the Tax ID. This could be a problem in other countries as well. Seems the general trend in the world is to require more ID and make it more difficult to obtain prepaid SIMs.
  • They say US is coming, but they will need to change their business model somewhat. No one offers free incoming in the US when you dial a US number, as it is mobile customer pays in the US, not caller pays like in Europe. They presently have free incoming in the US when calling one of the European numbers, but presumably they are getting some money at the European termination end.
  • What's the deal with the termination rates to the UK number? It is in the Lyca range, seems that until recently the other UK mobile operators charged extra to call Lyca, but that has now stopped. Betamax/Dellmont charges for Lyca calls as for regular UK mobile numbers, but Localphone charges 2.9 US cents to most UK normal mobiles but 19.9 cents to Lyca (same as Jersey.) In practice, this can mean that it is cheaper to get an IMSI in France for example (3.9 cents on Localphone) even if not travelling to France for purposes of forwarding.