View Single Post
Old
  (#4)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 02-04-2015, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbln View Post
Generally, I agree with lover's 08 suggestions. But I think it's no use to get an international SIM card for your intineary.

You can use your T-Mobile US inten. option in Italy and Croatia. But you will be throttled in speed of course.
On most plans, it will be only 128 kbps. So better check, if this is enough speed for your VoIP app. I got my doubts.

In Slovenia, data is cheap: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Slovenia
1 GB in 3 days is 5€ or $5.50 with packs for another 5€.
For Bosnia, data is very cheap, look here: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.c...nd_Herzegovina
1 GB is around 10 KM = $5.50 with free starter packs.

For Montenegro, it's the same story here: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Montenegro
1 GB is around €3 or $3.30 with free starters.

So don't worry, but be sure that your device covers European frequencies.
Thanks.
1. The throttled data speed from TM ranges a solid 110-112Kbps in almost all the countries we've been in. So solid, used Google GPS navigation for 8 days driving around Romania last August w.o. one glitch. Have used it in 9 countries so far. China, Hong Kong, Germany (just at airport), Suisse, Austria, Hungary, Romania, and about 30-45 minutes on the Ukraine system when near the border w. Romania. Oh, and Costa Rica w. lots of GPS usage.
Wife's FaceBook works fine.
2. We have decided to skip Bosnia. If we hit Montenegro, will be only for a short time, so nothing will be needed there. Main need is for Slovenia.
3. I'll check out the Slovenia link.
4. Don't need voice "app." When in Italy and Croatia will make use of wifi for free calls via TM roaming, or, just pay the 20¢/min. for cell tower calls. What I hope to use the data SIM for in the tablet is to set up a "hot spot" with the tablet (a wifi hot spot) and connect the phone to it for the free wifi features (voice, data, text) in Slovenia. I don't mind paying 20¢/min. for calls. I would mind paying the $2.48/min TM charges to roam in Slovenia, 50¢ for outgoing SMS, and $15/Mb for data.

All phones now sold here seem to work on at least the basic freq. (800/900/1800/1900) Anything above the lowest level phones operate on multiple other freq. as well. Right now I have an S4 and wife, S5 (Samsung) "high" end phones. Old tablet runs Android OS4.0.4 and operates at GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; UMTS: 1700/2100, 1900, 850; HSDPA+ 21M, HSUPA 5.76M.

Question - What data speed does one need for decent voice connection?

Thanks again.

mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.