View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 06-03-2014, 22:52

I know this is not the primary point of your post, but as to the point below - I would hazard a guess that close to 90% of Americans are unfamiliar with the term SMS. While the term pops up in writing occasionally in the US, it is almost never used in speech. The term "text message" is used exclusively.

So while it is one thing to use the term "SMS" within the settings which most people look at rarely if at all, if the word SMS were an option within iMessage itself most Americans would have no idea what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFH View Post
While I'm on the subject of iMessage, I'll also mention two other problems with it that are not related to switching SIM cards:
  • There is an inconsistency in terminology between "Send as SMS" (within Settings->Messages) and "Send as Text Message" within the Messages app. Many users don't realise that “Send as Text Message” means that the message will be sent as chargeable SMS. "Text message" could be semantically understood to mean both SMS or iMessage, and so Apple should eliminate the ambiguity caused by this unnecessary use of two different terms and simply relabel "Send as Text Message" to "Send as SMS".
]