View Single Post
Old
  (#30)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Thumbs down 03-07-2007, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATHA531 View Post
But in any event, this is one thing the Germans can learn from the United Staes where almost everywhere, department stores and many retail shops and restaurants are open on Sundays and have been so for the last 30 years.
Off topic I know... but this is a disputed issue in Germany and elsewhere in Europe. Religious views aside, I think it is good that a country can 'wind down' at least one day a week. Of course essentials should always be available, and this holds true in Germany on Sundays. Even though a SIM card is not considered an essential, you can still buy several things on Sundays in petrol station shops and more importantly the shops in and around train stations. AFIK You might even be able to buy SIM cards from all of the main operators in such shops/kiosks on Sundays... just not Medion Mobile. This is only because Aldi chose to keep their costs down and do not sell them through ANY other reseller (as far as I know).

In countries like Germany, you won't even find any trucks (apart from a few critical food transporters) on any of the roads on Sundays. What a relief!!

I for one am delighted that the whole world doesn't blindly follow everything that the Americans have been doing for 30 years... even though increasingly this is exactly what is happening (and this applies to more than just store opening hours!!)