View Single Post
Old
  (#21)
LOTL (Offline)

Default 20-04-2010, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkav View Post
If you want to call home a lot....try one of the mvno's like Lebara, Nomi, Lyca, Vectone i have some spare sims of each of these if you want...will swap 1 for 1...there numbers are already supplied on the sim
Malkav,
Whose network are Lebara, Nomi, Lyca, and Vectone on?
Would there be a prefix that i would have to enter prior to making calls if i went the MVNO route?
If i can do Vodafone for 5p to the USA, then i might forgo the middleman stuff and deal direct with Vodafone. For the amount that we would use the phone, im thinking the simpler we keep it the better.

So with that said. I looked at Vodafones website and came up with the following.
On the Vodafone Simply Pay as you go plan, calls cost 20p a minute and texts are 10p - to anyone, any time, anywhere in the UK.
They then mention that i would need to add the International Pay as you go perk by either calling 36888 from my mobile or text INTERNATIONAL to 2345.
They also offer a free SIM, but it appears it might only be for people from the UK or people with an existing number.

I see this happening in the following sequence.
1. Order the Motorola V197 and UK charger from Ebay.
2. Order the Vodafone SIM from Ebay (or possibly get a free one from Vodafone)
3. Upon arrival in the UK, top up my SIM at a yet to be determined location in Bristol. (airport should have a place im assuming?)
4. Once topped up, i can text INTERNATIONAL from my phone to get the 5p rate for calls to the US. (or is there a better way to do this?)

I couldnt find out what the cost would be for texts sent to the US, or what the rate would be for incoming calls or texts from the US.