View Single Post
Old
  (#4)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-02-2015, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by drama queen View Post
There are quite a few restrictions on this plan.
  • You have to have an existing Vodafone Base plan before adding Red Roaming. Charges in Ireland will be according to the Base plan that you pick.
  • You have to have been with Vodafone for at least 3 months (this is intended for Irish residents - not visitors)
  • Tethering is not permitted
  • You have to deactivate Red Roaming if you want to use a non-Vodafone network and then pay at normal rates. This is probably the most serious restriction.
  • Minimum top-up is €10
Thanks for your advice. I decided to test the SIM card first, before I put a recommendation for it on the prepaid-data-sim WIKI. But I still think, it can make a good EU roaming SIM. The best offer at least any Vodafone network in Europe has right now (except in Italy - but there you have to buy it on location and pay mandatory monthly domestic fee).

About the so-called "restrictions":
1.) Base plan: Sure, every SIM has a base plan. But on VF IRL you don't have a monthly fee if you don't use it. So what's the point?
2.) Three months with VF: This seems not to be enforced. I just got my preregistered SIM from Ebay with online access and could activate the RED Roaming right away. I don't think it has been 3 months with VF!
3.) Tethering: It's only a problem for iPhones for which you need a tethering profile. On Android devices this normally works even if banned (one exception is Lycamobile, they sniff and kill tethering connections)
4.) Confined to VF networks: Every domestic user of any VF network is that too. VF and its "partner" networks are all over Europe and often have (one of) the best networks. I don't see this as such a disadvantage after all.
5.) Minimum top-up: 10 EUR - well, the SIM card is (almost) free. For occasional users it's more important how long credit stays valid: For 6 months, then it will be frozen, but can released within the next 6 months by a top-up. This sounds fair to me.

But anyway, I will test if it's a valid choice. Personally, I don't like the rigid 200 MB per day limit. But the rate is great, esp. including Turkey (which can be a tricky country) and the US (on AT&T) for 3€. Who offers a "pay by day" rate on US AT&T at all? If it works as planned, it will be included like the Mundo SIM and Three's Feel at home here: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.c...European_Union

About Meteor: I know their offer and I considered it too: 99c for 50 MB is OK, but standard rates beyond! This offer is beaten clearly by the Mundo SIM of Spain, which I still think is better. Compared to this, the VF offer just stands out for including more countries and other networks.

Last edited by wolfbln; 03-02-2015 at 18:44..