View Single Post
Old
  (#8)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-03-2012, 04:59

Just got back. Wifi is free and available almost everywhere from lowish end eateries to mid-level hotels. (Someone above stayed in an ultra-deluxe place that wanted $20/day extra for wifi. Much wifi was open, a little more than half you had to ask for the security code.
Only used the Truphone for incoming calls. Had calls forwarded from my U.S. number to my Tru U.S. number.
Didn't get all that many calls. All were clear. Since there was wifi everywhere could make outgoing calls for free on regular BBerry and wife's Android.
One oddity I discovered w. Blackberry phone. I subscribe to a free music service called Pandora. It is only accessible from wifi connections in the U.S. We tried connecting via computer and the Android - got msg. saying service only available to U.S. locations because of copyright issues.
My BB DID connect to Pandora. Somehow their wifi connection goes thru RIM and/or TMobile servers so that Pandora thinks I am still in U.S.
Tru worked everywhere we were in the 3 countries except the signal on the carrier(s) they use in Laos dropped when we really got way up the Mekong River. Other carriers did provide signals to the BB.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20ยข/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.