View Single Post
Old
  (#4)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 24-02-2006, 13:47

I'm sort of semi-sceptical about this. If they wanted to track down calling card numbers, they could have done more at any time in the last ten years, and even subscribe to a few that kept changing 0800 numbers. And not all info in Orange is as easily obtained from CS.

It will be interesting to see if they will zap only 0800 numbers, or maybe 020 and all other callthrough possibilities as well, like 07744 numbers (having changed policy twice already).

There was a spam rash recently of Orange numbers diverted to another callthrough provider, perhaps by one of its affiliates, but Orange blocked these, and those of a different company a bit earlier. Maybe that was part of the rumour.

And there are other numbers which at the moment mean someone on prepaid can get for example unlimited int'l calls for ?5 for a weekend - these could only be omitted/barred generically, as people could set up a different number for every call.

** Edit - the unlimited calls options appear to have been ended

On another forum, someone said UK was too expensive for phones - I said it's one of the cheapest, with cheaper-than-free 12 month mobile contracts, and calls to over 200 international destinations possible from included minutes on some networks. I think you could have gone for O2 Steve