View Single Post
Old
  (#12)
naoautorizada (Offline)

Default 07-07-2007, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
My additional 2 cents:
1. Cingular (ATT) charges half of T-M for voice in Mexico.
2. T-M just came out with UMA (wi-fi) ability w. a couple of GSM/wi-fi phones. It has not been verified, but supposedly you can use the phone over wi-fi anywhere in the world and be billed as though you are in the U.S
I have used it quite a bit here in the U.S., even before it was officially released. Works like a charm.
I have NOT verified, tho, that billing overseas works as stated. I'll try it in Costa Rica in a couple weeks.

...mike
I guess, Mike - but for Cancun (or Mexico in general), so what?

I don't mean to be mean, but why would I want to buy an expensive phone and have to look for WiFi when I want to call someone when I can use my VOIP from the beach with some cheapie Nokia. [Maybe more important - why would I want to take a chance exposing MY phone to sand and sun when I can expose theirs.]

Last - and maybe most important - depending on WiFi still means that I don't get any calls (unless they're willing to pay big bucks to make the call and I'm willing to pay the same to accept it) when I'm not at a hot spot whereas with VOIP in the phone you get calls as cheaply as you make them - from anywhere. I think for places like Cancun where Mexitel is available, WiFi has (at least for voice) simply been outdistanced.

Last edited by naoautorizada; 08-07-2007 at 13:43..