View Single Post
Old
  (#14)
LOTL (Offline)

Default 20-04-2010, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
If you get a Vodafone SIM, you can call the US for 5p a minute, and there are other cheap deals available - see PrePaidGSM: United Kingdom. (And if you do decide to get a nice phone rather than a 5 pound throwaway, do get one that's quad band, so you can use it in the USA.) You can even keep your UK SIM active so you can use it on future visits, even years later, by occasionally doing something with it like sending a text message every six months.
Motel75,
Thanks for the link to the UK Prepaid page. I did check them out and i didnt see 5p for calling the US with Vodafone. It was £ 0.99 for landline and € 1.21 for cell.
T-Mobile was 10p pr/minute to both Landlines and Cell.
Orange is £ 0.20 - € 0.24

Ill have to look into it more to see what their packages include. The link to the prepaid T-Mobile card that was posted earlier T-Mobile UK Prepaid PAYG SIM Card w/FREE ROAMING & MORE - eBay (item 150425602949 end time May-19-10 14:17:41 PDT)
mentions that you can receive calls within the UK for free, and can receive text for free ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD including the US!

T-Mobile seems like the way to go and their coverage map appears the same as Orange and Vodafone.

Hopefully a few more hours of research and the info i have gotten from the people here, will help with the decision.