View Single Post
Old
  (#8)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 28-04-2008, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
Yep, Mova's nothing special, though the free minutes here and there for shopping at Carrefour might make me buy a SIM to burn them off (Otwock, where I am much of the time, has a Carrefour Express, a de facto monopoly supermarket). I notice that it seems to be the first Plus-related offer to give cumulative card validity, up to 12 months (but at the same stingy rate of 3 months/50 PLN that pretty much all prepaids offer in Poland). As it is, to enjoy your free minutes, you still have to buy airtime regularly just to keep the SIM active, and it's nothing special.
Yes, it's nothing special, but not very bad either. However, I really wonder why Mova doesn't offer any data services - not even MMS! The only "modern" service is videocalling in the Plus 3G coverage...

Quote:
A low-priced international SIM, or one with generous expiration, is something that could make a big difference on the Polish market.
By "international" you mean the SIM with low international rates? Yes, you're right - the rates are horrible now, but something is going to change (very slowly). Since last year Heyah has a special 0.68 PLN/min rate to Ukraine (and the Ukrainian version of the website). A week ago Simplus introduced 3 "cheap" numbers (EU w/o Gibraltar and French overseas territories + Belarus, Croatia, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine). It costs extra 5 PLN/30 days/number but the rate is 1 PLN/min with 1/1 no-setup-fee debiting - really new for international calls from Polish mobiles. Today I read about plans for a first "ethnic" (precisely Ukrainian & Vietnamese) MVNO...

As to expiration, you probably mean expiration for outgoing calls. Eg. 1 year for incoming with working free VM and some 0800 in Orange isn't that bad...

Quote:
But, for example, Play had the chance to do something bold (as a new player, pardon the pun), but it had comparable rates, rapid expiration, and rotten international rates as everyone else. Now it's Carrefour's turn to be undistinguished. Hmmph.
Hehe, but Play is not a MVNO! That's why must suck money whereever possible to build its real network and pay for national roaming to Plus in the same time. For the same reason, they are allowed to have MTR at 0.65 PLN/min whereas "the Big Three" has 0.40 PLN/min (and will drop in May to some 0.33 PLN/min).