View Single Post
Old
  (#40)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-11-2010, 16:28

I got my phone yesterday. I haven't done much with it, other than to install some SIM cards (eKit Simple Calling, the eKit US/UK number SIM, Orange UK and T-Mobile US). It's a little useless in a sense here in Canada since all four are roaming on Rogers but the phone works. I'm guessing the radios aren't always on the same frequency since the signal strengths vary. (Rogers has 2G coverage at both 850 and 1900 MHz here.)

The TV works - we have four SDTV analog broadcasts here. Picture quality isn't very good, but because I'm several kilometres away from the broadcast sites, a person needs directional antennas to get good signal indoors. I'll play with it outdoors and see if it's better. It's certainly watchable.

The radio works well. More distant signals are prone to noise but still listenable. A 100,000 watt signal broadcast from 70 km west of here was a bit staticky but not overwhelmingly so. (It comes in perfectly in my car.) Local stations are fine.

I haven't actually made a real call with the phone yet, just called a busy signal to be sure the phone works. I'll play with it over the next few days.

So far I'm pleased. For the money the phone does a lot.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.