View Single Post
Old
  (#14)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-08-2015, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
I think for a phone it's never a bad idea to have a SIM that supports voice even if you don't intend to use it much because you can't speak the language. You never know when you might have to call back home in a hurry or receive inbound calls or SMS.

Ans if you want to use Skype for your international calls just turn on your VPN service - these work fine on Orange data plans on voice+data SIMs.
I agree. But don't forget: most European visitors have already SIM cards mostly at the EU regulated rate. An odd call for around €0.19/min + tax won't set you back.
Problem is that Orange actually prohibits to use their only voice & data prepaid SIM called Mobicarte in a modem/router. Our collected experience on the prepaid Wiki of Mobicarte is somewhat cryptic as it seems to be a hit and miss: "This data plan is for mobile phones and may or may not work on other gear." - that's for voice & data Mobicarte.
And about Mobicarte too: "VoiP services will fail to initialize properly."
Velonomad writes on his blog http://www.velonomad.com/articles/ch...ata-in-france/: "And if you like Skype or VOIP, you can’t use them with Mobicarte. In fact, any attempt to use them could get your SIM blocked." This clearly contradicts your statement.

And this is exactly what I meant: why so much bossing around? Is there any sense this: "Newsgroups sont interdits"??? Operators of EU countries are obliged to net neutrality. This means all blocking or priotizing is illegal. KPN of the Netherlands just paid a high penalty for blocking VoIP. Orange doesn't dare to do this in any other market, but at home.

Last edited by wolfbln; 21-08-2015 at 09:54..