Old
  (#16)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-04-2008, 18:16

cross-posted, but I'll leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack_111 View Post
How does Dialnow work? I have a UK SIM. If I call the US with Dialnow, will it ring back and I have to pay the rate my SIM provider charges for incoming calls? Calls out cost me about 50 cents a minute. How is there a savings? Or do I need a special new SIM?
No, DialNow is a callthrough service, not callback at all (though there is a separate way to use it for that).

To call the USA from the UK, broadly speaking you'd have two options:

There are several mvno providers with cheap direct-dialled international calls, and the main networks also have some SIM options that are equivalent to these, either add-ons or separately branded. Rates are from 4 pence a minute upwards.

The other option is to use a callthrough access just like a calling card, so a local number then the destination will be dialled. Nowadays this isn't as likely to be worthwhile in the UK, as you'd pay for the local landline call at perhaps higher rates than the direct-dialled options in the first category.

An exception to this generalised callthrough description is the Yourcallworld arrangement with T-mobile, where the call comes off the SIM balance at the YCW tariff, and no separate account is needed. Although it's callthrough, it's more like the first group on tariff grounds