View Single Post
Old
  (#7)
Roti2000 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default YEah - 01-12-2010, 04:43

Thanks, everyone for all of the help.

I am beginning to think that my problems are a combination of cheap Chinese phone + crappy AT&T coverage.

I have done all of the things people suggested--put the AT&T SIM in the second slot, tried my ekit SIM and forced it to connect successfully to AT&T, turned it on/off, tried (unsuccessfully) to check the balance via *777#, the phone is (supposedly) a quad-band, had AT&T Cust. Service activate the IMEI with the SIM.

After I posted initially, I went to a location about a mile from my house--which is where I experienced these problems--and was able to use the phone pretty reliably from the other location.

I didn't initially think it was a network problem since the GOPHone SIM works perfectly in my ancient CIngular at home, but not in the new Chinese phone.

The only reason for getting the AT&T SIM is for a trip to Mexico I'm taking in the next couple of days. It will be interesting to see how the setup functions while roaming in Mexico via the Telcel towers.

GadgetKen's explanation of the 2G vs. 3G chips is interesting. Does anyone know if the 2G or 2.5G chips are still sold by AT&T. I'm wondering if I can just get one at the store?

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

I will post a followup about what happens with it in Mexico.