View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 31-05-2010, 10:41

I am a bit confused by what you are asking so let me just confirm that you are just looking for a cheap way of calling one of the Betamax local access numbers in Madrid?

First however, tell me how much you pay with the Vodafone 90x1 or Movistar for your 20min calls? Then I can tell you if there is anything that is cheaper.

Personally, I tend to use SIP over UMTS, as I get very cheap data supplied through Simyo. However, if I do not have good 3G or 3.5G coverage, I use the Java Voipclient from Betamax. This will get charged as 2 separate one way calls at Betamax rates. The cheapest one-way rate back to any Spanish prepaid mobile is 5c/min with 12voip.com. You will also need to transmit a few kilobytes of data to set up the call. (There are several prepaid SIM's in Spain like masMovil which will give you a very cheap data rate for this).

A callback via the Voipclient to a prepaid Spanish SIM is generally cheaper than most of the outward voice rates to Spanish fixed numbers from most of the prepaid operators here, especially when you consider that Spanish operators charge you a very high connection charge.

However, if you live in a hotel, does your room phone allow incoming calls? Do these go via the reception or does your room have a direct inward number? If so, you can configure one side of the Betamax Voipclient to call your fixed hotel number. As Spain fixed lines are a free destination on all Betamax brands, you can then call any other free destination at a total of 0c/min. You will only need to pay the 5c connection charge (if your Betamax brand has it) and of course you will also have to pay the few cents to your mobile provider for the data trigger.